Saturday, April 26, 2008

The Story of Stuff

The woman is a tad annoying and fear-mongering but the video's worth watching.

If nothing else, it got me thinking about the stuff I still have in storage in LA. Truth to tell, I kinda wish I had more stuff, as I often feel that my self-imposed religious spring cleaning every few years leaves me not only with less clutter but fewer sustaining memories as well. What else is a treasured item but an invocation of time? It is absolutely true that things can hold value. Nothing inspires me more than a bookshelf stuffed to the gills with good reads, for example. But as I'm resigning myself to the vagabond life, I've managed to parse down my carpet bag to mostly these: photo albums, books, CDs, tapestries, old letters/cards/journals, a few ethnic knick-knacks received as presents, and oh yeah, a crate full of holiday ornaments. What stuff do you have?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a lot of videotape of comedic shorts I once did, which are technically quite flawed, but a memorable part of my life. Like my more personal home movies, they also feature friends and acquaintances from the past. These treasured items vividly invoke a time (great phrase, btw) and place whenever I watch them.

theshortestfuse said...

you should update those videotapes onto CDs or something. they'll keep longer and be less bulky. but i hear you, my friend.

Holly said...

Hehehe, this was my deep thought Sunday morning.

miss tango said...

The video was actually pretty good, it reenforced points that you believe you know, but never really (want to)think about, but more than thinking about it, we are at (or past) the point, where we should have or start doing more action than talking, thinking or shopping our way out of it.

theshortestfuse said...

i agree. we think we know but don't really.